Feb 1, 2017

Reflections on turning 50





Today is the first day of the rest of my life. Yesterday I turned 50. It was bittersweet. I feel wiser and I feel glad to have made it this far. However, it is the anniversary of my brother’s passing in a few days. He died at 51. I wonder if he had known on his fiftieth birthday that he had one more year to live, whether he would have done anything differently.


I don’t think there was a lot he would have changed. He had found his Zen, travelled, realised many of his dreams and saw the value of family time. He probably would have prioritised his health. He had people relying on him and he prioritised them over his self-care. This is something I need to be aware of myself.

So this year, what will I do differently?

1) I will commit to an exercise regime. Ironically, this fell by the wayside when my brother died.

2) I will stop doing things because I should. Especially things that go against my gut instinct. I have been practising saying no to things, this will now become a habit. If I don’t want to - I will say no.

3) I will consider my time valuable. This means not wasting time. Not being used. Charging what I’m worth. Using my time well.

4) I will spend my time with people who give as well as take. I have some beautiful friends now who understand my quirkiness and accept it. In the past I had some people who would use me but not give anything back because they were either selfish or I am not the sort of person they would be friends with. I understand that I am not everyone’s cup of tea. This is true of all of us. However, nerdy people who are a bit quirky and different, suffer continuously from this. People use us for our skills and knowledge but don’t really want to be our friend. I will no longer accept this.

5) I will draw positive energy towards me and repel negative energy.



I have been curating a list of positive songs. I would love some feedback from people suggesting more songs.
Here is what I have started:
Kate’s List of Power Songs
Try Everything – Shakira
Dream On – Aerosmith
Beautiful – Christina Aguilera
Permission to Shine – Bachelor Girl
I won’t Back Down – Tom Petty
Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive - Al Jarreau
Walking on Sunshine – Katrina and the Waves

I have also been curating a list of 
awesome positive women who send the right message that resonates with me. This is the start of my list. I have done posts on a couple of these women but will probably be doing further posts this year. 

Maybe you have suggestions of people who seem the right fit for me.



3 comments:

  1. Lovely post Kate. A great way to tune in to what is right for you now and in the future

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is inspiring! Happy, happy birthday, Kate! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY well-put, Kate. As a fellow nerdy person, I concur on more than a few of these points. As I approach my 53rd year, the time I have left seems ever more urgent, though with different expressions for me. Time is short and needs proper use.

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.