Jan 24, 2013

All Cats have Asperger Syndrome



All Cat's Have Asperger Syndrome is a picture book by Kathy Hoopmann. It's not just for kids, though. Parents, family, friends, cousins, classmates, anyone who is neurotypical and who knows someone on the Autism Spectrum, will learn a little something from this book. It's a great introduction to what it's like for kids (and their parents) who are on the "high functioning" end of the spectrum. I think it would be a good discussion starter for classrooms and even for families. Also, some people who suspect they might not be so neurotypical will have some eye-opening moments. 


Kathy Hoopmann uses gorgeous photographs of cats to describe some of the feelings and behaviour of a typical Asperger's kid. I think this could also be used with kids on the Spectrum, to see they share things in common with other kids, and to discuss which of those things about themselves are challenging, and which they are comfortable with. Not all kids are going to behave the same way, but it's a good starting point.

I love this book. Five stars from me. 
Kathy also has a book called All Dogs Have ADHD.







I'm joining Cat Thursday & Kid Lit Blog Hops: 



Kid Lit Blog Hop






11 comments:

  1. This looks like a really cute book, and it reminds me of a neuroatypical guy I know who visits the local game shop.

    He may not be a cat, but he seems like one, and of course is remarkably cool for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very interesting. I have heard of it, but have not read it. Thanks for the info.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to check out this book, I have friend who's child was just diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome.
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a very interesting book! I was a nanny for four years to a boy with Asperger Syndrome, and I know how uncommon books on the subject are. I will definitely check this out.
    Thanks for linking up to the Kid Lit Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I hadn't seen that one before but it sounds like a wonderful way to help families understand each other!

    Happy Thursday!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! My son has ADHD which is a spectrum disorder so he might enjoy reading both of her books. Great approach, that's for sure. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too fun. I love it. Um, but I don't think I'd recommend it to a cat to read. You know. They think they rule.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a cute book for kids. Thanks for your thoughts and the review.

    BTW-I have 5 giveaways I'm hosting at my blog this week if you want to pop over and check them out. Hope your week is a lovely one!

    Diane :O)
    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate, This looks like a great resource for teachers and parents. I also like how they use images of cats so that kids (and grown-ups) can understand that Asperger's isn't identifiable by the way someone looks, but rather what is going on internally. Great idea!

    Thanks for linking into the Kid Lit Blog Hop! Nice to see you there and I hope you'll join us again! :)

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.