Dec 22, 2012

Beatrice Munson by Lorena Bathey


I was first introduced to Lorena Bathey's work through Jo-anne from World's of Wonderment. She is a great supporter of Indie authors, and she was kind enough to match up an Indie author with each book blogger, according to our interests. 
When Beatrice Munson moves into this neighborhood she ignites an excitement within the women of suburbia that they forgot they had.  Beatrice awakens them to see the passions and dreams they have given up in this life, which were mostly the things they loved most.  They see they have become settled and suburbanified. 
from Lorena B Books



When I read the synopsis for Beatrice Munson, it piqued my interest. Thanks to Facebook many of us are now catching up with old school friends and maybe some old school frenemies. I wouldn't ever want to go back to high school, and I often wonder if meeting up with people from school will raise the old insecurities from school days, well I'm happy to report that it hasn't so far, but what about Marissa from the book? Will the fact that Beatrice Munson moves in right across the street, mean mayhem to her old feelings of inadequacy.  Let's face it, Beatrice was beautiful and confident and practically stole Jeffrey right out from under Marissa's nose. 
When I was first reading this book, I kept thinking, what if the lessons from Elizabeth Gilbert or Frances Mayes came right to you? Imagine if someone like that moved in right across the street? This is the story about what happens to people who've learned some of these amazing life lessons and how they can bring them to others.
This was the first book I read on my Kindle, so it's a bit special. My life has been thrust into topsy turvy land this last year, but I was able to read this fab book while waiting for heaps of appointments. It kept me reading, and kept me interested. I also mentioned to Lorena, that the underlying theme of tolerance really appealed to me on both an intellectual and emotional level. 
I would have liked to see some more plot developments on how Marissa's kids coped with her divorce and her subsequent dating. But of course, there is only so much you can fit in one book. 
If I was going to be picky, Marissa suffers a shocking event (without giving too much away) and I felt this could have been explored further as well. I think that even if she didn't suffer PTSD, with her already delicate nature I think she might not have been so resilient. But once again, there are only so many plot elements in a story and not all can be fully developed. It shows what a good storyteller Lorena is, because she had me eager to know her characters more deeply.
Sometimes books just come to you at the right time. Lorena's book has made me eager to embrace my life again. What was it I was going to be when I grew up? Hmm a ballerina, a librarian, a writer, or an accountant. Gosh maybe I'd better get to work. Those ballet lessons aren't cheap. 


Lorena Bathey:

Growing up in Northern California, Lorena Bathey attended St. Mary’s College in Moraga graduating with a degree in English.

Lorena started writing her first book, Happy Beginnings: How I Became My Own Fairy Godmother when her world fell apart and she needed to process the massive changes in her life. Lorena found characters were visiting her mind and wouldn't leave. She was introduced to Marissa, Andrea, Lily, Deidre and Beatrice and her first novel, Beatrice Munson, came to life.

After finishing that book she was inspired to write more novels and she knew that pursuing her passion was the best way to live her life. So a writer she became.

Today Lorena has nine novels in her writing queue.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this review, so well done. Like you, I wouldn't want to go back to high school.

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.