Oct 3, 2012

Leon Stumble's Book of Stupid Fairytales


A few weeks back, we had a little road trip and my sister played this audio book for us called Leon Stumble's Book of Stupid Fairytales by Doug Macleod. It's very funny and I had a good laugh. There's a lot of appeal for boys and my nephew was having a good giggle at some of the absurd retelling.  Leon Stumble is a wannabe writer and he gives his boring stories to Una Spooner to read and asks her to publish them. After all the rejection letters, Leon Stumble submits some fairytales, but changes them slightly. In Leon’s stories, Cinderolla is a robot girl on wheels, and Little Reg Riding Hood is a boy called Reg who designs and makes his own clothes. They are  very silly stories and they will have you in fits of laughter. Leon's girlfriend Cassie (who is secretly a witch) adds a little magic and Leon may just get his stories published after all. 


The Publisher's notes said: 
Doug got the idea for the book after seeing a misprint in a genuine book of fairytales. Instead of ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’, the title appeared on one page as ‘Jack and the Branstalk’. It occurred to him that by changing just one tiny bit of a title, you could come up with an idea for a very different story altogether.

 This book is recommend for 6-9 year olds. 
They need some background in the original stories to get the humour. 

In the print version, the illustrations are by Craig Smith.

9 comments:

  1. :) I came here through the blog-hop, and I think I'm going to have to look this book up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. stopping by from the kit lit blog hop - this looks interesting, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate, What a great concept for a book! That is soooo funny! Love it! Thanks for linking into the Kid Lit Blog Hop. It's nice to meet you. I was already following you via GFC and I've now added G+ and Facebook. Do you have an option to follow by email (it's my preferred way to follow)? Hope you'll join us again. Cheers!

    Renee @ http://motherdaughterbookreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out Renee. When I had my blog makeover I must have forgotten to re-add it. Fixed now. Cheers, Kate.

      Delete
    2. Awesome Kate - I'm now following you via email too! Hope you are having a nice weekend. :)

      Delete
  4. I love that author's "branstorm" hehehe I crack myself up :) Thanks for participating in the Kid Lit Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a really fun book! My son is a little too young for it now (almost 3) - I can't wait until we can read it together! Thanks for linking up to the Kid Lit Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is neat! I'll have to look for this book and send copies to my niece and nephew.

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.