Jun 14, 2011

Books, Crafts and not so pretty things...

Books:
This week I finished The Bride Stripped Bare by Nikki Gemmell, originally published anonymously. I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said about this book. My parents read it first and said that they felt she was just going for shock value. I wasn't really shocked, but I guess my generation has seen the best and worst of humanity thanks to television and the internet. So although sex, violence and so on are nothing new - nothing is hidden anymore. I personally think it says more about her own personal self esteem problems than it does about anything else. Some of the thoughts (which she said are an amalgam of her own thoughts as well as her friends) border on the violence of sex and self destructive behaviour of a woman who is not in touch with who she is as a person. Sometimes her husband is seen as the problem especially with some of his cutting remarks, but I always say, that you get what you are willing to accept. If you don't accept bad behaviour you won't get it, whether it's from your partner, friends or kids. If people see you as a doormat, they'll wipe their feet. Having said that, I think that anything that makes people think about women and their place in society can only be a good thing. And I always like to take the woman's side - even if she makes choices I wouldn't make myself.


In other book news, I received a prize from Good Reading Magazine that I have been waiting a little while for due to print issues. I'm so excited that I received a set of Andy Griffiths books for writing a poem/limerick and Andy Griffiths judged it. So now my husband (the butcher) and son Starchaser are teasing that if all else fails I can write bum poems for kids. I'm really going to enjoy reading these to the niece and nephew. I will do a review of his hilarious new book about body parts.

Crafts:
Here is a picture of the granny square skirt that I said I finished.

Also in craft news, I was playing with my nephew the other day and found among his toys a loom which my sister had when she was little. It's a round one, which she had made rafia mats on . So I asked him if I could borrow it, since he's always borrowing my toys and games (which he always remembers to return by the way and he's only 5). I am hoping to have a little play with this and see if I can make some of the daisies I have seen around. I'll post my experiments.

I've also started crocheting a long dress. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Other news:
I have exams this week, so wish me luck. I feel really nervous because my memory has been terrible lately. But I will just have to try my best.
I had a lovely family lunch with extended family and as always I wished I did it more often. But things get so busy.
I went to a really interesting training session at the State Library of WA about using the databases for Oxford Dictionaries, Encyclopedia Britanica, and the Cengage Gale Resources. It was aimed at Library staff, but if your library ever offers these training sessions it is really worthwhile as you learn many hints and tips and find resources you didn't know were available. Ask your Librarian or other Library staff about which databases they offer for free with your library card.

Not so pretty things...
Some things I've been reading.

My friend, Troythulu talked about racism, a topic close to my heart because of my bonus son. As a person of Aboriginal and Irish descent he has suffered some terrible racism over  the years and it breaks my heart. I just can't comprehend the need to judge others on superficial characteristics.

"Tai-wiki-widbee" talked about "blood farming" and organ trading. This is a practice which you just can't believe actually happens. But it is one we must all be aware of. People cry out (and rightly so) about puppy farming and caged farming, but this is farming humans for their blood and organs and I think I need to educate myself more about this terrible practice

Lastly, something in my own backyard so to speak. Yesterday, at the end of the street where one of my school friends lives with her family, a man was knocked over by a car when he went to get the morning paper and left for dead. I won't say his name, because in Indigenous Australian culture they do not speak the name of someone who has passed. But if anyone knows ANYTHING about this incident, you need to come forward. It's just too horrific and someone needs to own up to their mistake.

On that note, I wish you a good week and hope things are going well in your part of the world.

Hugs,
Kat

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kat.

    Thanks for the mention and the link, and congrats on the prize you won for the poem.

    I'm going to check my local library for classes like the ones you mentioned tomorrow and sign up for some, which should really help out my research skills.

    The human blood and organ farming thingie sounds horrific, but more people should know about it, at least enough to properly inform themselves, so it's a good thing you brought it up.

    I'm bookmarking the link you posted on it.

    Lastly, I hope they find the guy who hit that poor fellow, or that he steps forward himself.

    I was struck by a car myself in 2007, suffering a fractured hip, broken arm, and numerous skin lacerations and minor head injuries.

    I was fortunate that the driver didn't flee the site, and witnesses were able to contact a nearby ambulance, taking me to the general hospital where they stitched me up and put my arm in a cast.

    Looking back, I guess I was lucky, insofar as luck actually exists.

    But enough of that. Have a stellar week and lots of interesting people to talk to...

    ...and say 'hi' to the son and hubby for me, oh, and scratch Jigglypuff for me.

    Gumbyman and Misty both say, "Mew."

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.